Twitter

Sunday, April 29, 2012

REVIEW: The Cabin in the Woods


In general originality is hard to come by in films. Originality is even harder to come by in films in the horror genre. Most horror films of late try to follow the path of Hostel. Extreme violence over actual horror and scares. Joss Whedon has said that this film is a love letter to the horror genre. In reality The Cabin in The Woods is actually a dissection of the horror genre. Joss and screenwriting partner Drew Goddard(director of Cloverfield)present the audience a traditional horror narrative. For those who have not seen the film but are reading this first, please be warned that major spoilers loom ahead.

I decided after the third Transformers that I wouldn't watch trailers anymore. The second Transformers planted the idea in my head but I thought to myself how would I find out about movies if I did not watch the trailers. It wasn't until the third film did I finally convince myself not to watch trailers. The problem with trailers now is they either A.) show you the entire plot, or B.) show you a film that is not what you end up watching in the movie theater, and not in a good way either. It is a negative representation of the film. Studios are not trying to keep secrets back but portray the best parts of the film on screen just to secure seats on opening weekend.

I felt rewarded that I saw The Cabin in the Woods trailer-free. Everything was fresh and exciting. Final warning major spoilers ahead. Let me start by saying that I never would have expected there to be unicorns in a horror movie, or male mermaids either, but here is a film where you get both. You also get an assortment of other horror devices; clowns, serpents, werewolves, zombies, etc.(The list truly goes on and on).

I mentioned earlier that this film was more of a dissection of the horror genre than an actual horror film itself. While the first 30 minutes or so do provide some intense moments and scares, the film radically changes once the survivors start to get picked off. And the film completely leaves the horror genre when only two survivors remain.

The film becomes a spoof by the time there are only two survivors remaining. When I say spoof I do not mean in tone of  Naked Gun, but more like a how Scream  was a satire of the horror genre. The individuals find out they have been placed in a game. The two men in the room signify Cabin in the Wood's writers. Writers sit down and craft a story based on circumstances. If the character begins to find out the truth the writer can simply create an obstacle with the character.

The many creatures are like the many weapons in the writers arsenal. Writer could decide for the film to be a monster film with serpents or large tarantulas, a Japanese horror film full of young possessed girls, or even a Chinese horror films full of "normal" human beings who do sick and twisted things. The writers are commentating on the fact that these horror films have now become pick and choose. If it is a Chinese horror film then that means people will be burned alive, as shown in the film. There is no more originality left.

The Cabin in the Woods surprised me, and I believe that is what ultimately won me over about the film. I was intrigued by how the film started and where it would take me. I am glad that the many twists took place throughout the film. If I had any gripes with the film it is the fact that Marty(Fran Hanz) didn't die when the audience was made to believe he did. It didn't feel as fulfilling as say when Christopher Nolan faked everyone out with the death Commissioner Gordan in The Dark Knight. In this film I didn't see a real reason to either bring him back or "kill" him in the first place. I feel like it would have been better if they would have chose one and stuck with it, either killed him permanently or never led the audience to believe he was dead. All in all this was a fantastic film full of thrills and kills. I would love to see more films like this.

THE CABIN IN THE WOODS
Running Time 95 minutes
Written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard
Directed by Drew Goddard
Starring Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford and Chris Hemsworth

3.5/4 Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment